Quote of the Week, Perhaps a Bit Longer

"The biological community is a vast and complicated system for sharing and distributing the energy of the sun among a diversity of life forms." ~Martson Bates

3/11/14

Yum, Yum Mushroom Soup!!!

Mushroom Soup!

Dan was feeling ill yesterday (Monday), so I thought I would make some soup for dinner, however, I didn't want to make the same old potato leek, or celery root soup that I normally make, so I decided to try mushroom soup.

Although I've heated it out of a can before, I've never actually made mushroom soup before, so I wasn't sure how it was going to turn out. Well, luckily, I am proud to say that my first attempt at mushroom soup turned out delicious.  It had a nice flavor and was warm and soothing for Dan's throat and my soul--cheesy, I know--mmmmmmmmm cheese, this recipe does include cheese, YAY!

Anyway, I highly recommend this recipe!

Oh, and it's super easy and quick to make too!

What you need:
olive oil
1 yellow onion
8 oz white mushrooms
4 oz brown mushrooms 
thyme--I did some fresh some dried since I didn't have much fresh
3 cups chicken broth
Parmesan Cheese--to taste
salt and pepper--to taste

What to do:
In a sauce pan saute onions over medium heat. Once the onions are translucent and soft add the mushrooms and thyme, salt and pepper to taste.  Cook the mushrooms until they are soft and brown.  Add the broth, bring to a boil then turn down heat and simmer for roughly 5 minutes.  Add parmesan cheese and let it melt into soup while stirring.  Let the soup cool a bit then, with an immersion blender (thank you for the Christmas present Dan!), blend soup to the desired smoothness.  Optional, use thinly sliced chives and Greek yogurt to garnish. Oh and since I love cheese I added more Parmesan as garnish too!

Enjoy!!!!!